A Vanistan engine oil cooler puts a lid on high engine oil temperatures to end flickering warning lights and terrifying buzzers. Keeping temps below 230ºF also extends the life of your engine oil and helps preserve in-grade performance so you can get optimal service for the maximum mileage, saving money and resources while protecting your engine for the long run.
The oil cooler assembly installs neatly inside the Vanagon’s right-rear D-pillar box cavity, so the air that flows naturally down the rear body pillar ducts when the van is moving forward can be used for cooling the engine oil. Closely-fitted mounting panels channel the airflow thru a top-quality oil-to-air heat exchanger.
The oil cooler assembly has a thermostatically-controlled high-volume pusher fan to boost cooling for high loads and during low-speed offroad driving where rpms are often high enough to increase oil temp, but vehicle speed is too low to induce airflow in the pillar duct.
Oil flow to the cooler is controlled by a Mocal sandwich adapter unit with thermostatic bypass valve, so full engine warmup is never delayed and oil is never overcooled.
Both kits also allow the engine to continue to intake air directly from the pillar duct, where the air is cooler and cleaner. The kit even allows the included intake duct hose to join the existing snorkel duct hose on Syncros and late 2WD vans, and Syncros can continue to use the cyclone dust trap (not shown in pictures above).
Installation is easy in about 2 hours using common tools.
The Deluxe Fan-equipped Oil cooler kit includes:
- US-made Earl’s 19-row oil/air heat exchanger.
- Spal 6.5″ 330cfm pusher fan.
- 18ga. fitted stainless steel mounting panels.
- Adjustable fan thermo-controller with 30A relay, temp sensor and custom wiring harness.
- Mocal sandwich adapter with thermostat bypass valve.
- Aeroquip black AN-8 hoses with black anodized end fittings and stainless crimp clamps.
- Black rubber engine intake air duct hose, coupler pipe and stainless clamps.
- Every part, fitting and fastener needed.
- Detailed, downloadable instructions.
- If your engine DOES NOT have an oil/water heat exchanger above the oil filter, the kit will cost $90 more for special plumbing parts to install the sandwich adapter. Be sure to check that option box above when ordering.
- Cooler kit will fit any wasserboxer van.
- We do not make oil cooler units to fit the left side D pillar.
- Will not fit T3 pickup trucks because they have no air ducted into the cooler unit mounting location.
- Cooler kit can be fitted to some popular van conversion engines, email for details.
- Not for aircooled engines.
- Mocal sandwich adapter does not have gauge sender ports. For adding oil pressure and/or oil temp gauge senders, we recommend Rocky Jennings’ oil sender manifold kit as the best solution, available here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1381302